Before we get to the nitty gritty of what new and improved small kitchen appliances are out there for the taking, we thought that we would give a review on something that we constantly use in the kitchen now that we are new parents, and that is a baby monitor. Preparing a home cooked meal can take quite a while sometimes, so having something that lets us stay in the kitchen and not have to worry about how are little one is doing is invaluable. We really did not realize how much of an asset having one of these in the house would be until we started using one. So for all of the parents out their with newborns or small children, you should hopefully find this useful.
After some research we ended up with the Philips Avent Dect monitor, and so far we have been more than satisfied with our purchase. It is one of the top audio baby monitors on the market and owners have really responded to its wide array of useful features. This unit is easy to set up and comes with DECT technology which guarantees complete privacy and zero interference with other devices (including microwave units and wireless networks). The product also integrates a customized temperature sensor, which can monitor the temperature in baby’s room and display it in either Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees (it can also alert parents through vibration when a certain value is exceeded).
Another feature which is very appreciated by parents is the night mode, which can help soothe one or more babies at a time via soft lights and different lullabies. Consumers will also benefit from a talk-back feature, which aids in the sending of different messages to the baby. Studies have shown that the simple hearing of parents’ voice can tranquil babies, hence why this functionality has been implemented in the Philips Avent DECT. Product range is of up to 330 meters outdoor and 50 meters indoor.
– DECT technology: The DECT technology included this model assures owners of minimal interference with other devices, including cordless phones, cell phones, other baby monitors or even extensive wireless networks. Additionally, the data encryption technology safeguards channel transmission, so only parents who have the receiver will know what happens with the baby.
– Crystal Clear Sound: Sound is once again top notch thanks to the DECT technology, which carefully monitors each giggle, scream or cry of the child as well as the background noise (which is ultimately filtered). Parents can see the noise level on the receiver, being indicated by 5 blue dots. When the noise level is high, more lights are turned on. When the noise level drops, the blue lights begin turning off. Parents can take advantage of the vibration reminder when the noise level reaches upper limits, as well as personalization of the sound output via the +/- arrows.
– Night Light and Lullabies: If ever the little one has trouble falling asleep parents can take advantage of the night mode on this monitor. It comes with a light on the unit that is placed in the baby’s room to help take care of some of the uneasiness that being in total darkness may present. It also has programmed lullabies that can play and help gently soothe the child to sleep.
– Rechargeable Wireless Unit: The Avent DECT is designed to operate for up to 18 hours on battery, requiring 10 hours of charging thereafter. An adapter is included in the package and is compatible with all the standard outlets. Range is very good for an indoor voice monitor, reaching up to 50 meters inside the house and 330 meters when used outdoor.
Pros of This Baby Monitor
We read an awful lot of customer feedback on this particular model and this baby monitor has gotten very positive reviews from parents and some of the features which were mostly appreciated by customers include:
– Range: Most customers who bought the product appreciate its long action range. One reviewer reports that he experienced no loss of signal in a 4,000 square-foot house. Furthermore, the fact that DECT technology reports when the link is lost is also a useful feature that helps ensure that parents know when they are pushing the limits of the unit’s range.
– Sound quality: A number of online reviews praise this model’s overall sound quality and lack of static. Owners like that the unit enables them to hear every noise their children make, even if some of them live in areas where outdoor noise is louder. They are also delighted with the blue dots which clearly indicate current sound level (on a range of 1 to 5).
– Night mode: Another highly appreciated feature of the device is the “Night mode”, which enables parents to soothe their babies from a distance with the aid of remote night light and lullabies. This feature is also very handy for parents. Owners liked they way that this feature worked.
– Temperature sensor: The temperature sensor embedded in the device is a nice feature. In case the temperature is too high, windows can be open or a fan turned on. If temperatures drops too low, the heating system can be turned on or the child can be wrapped in a thicker blanket.
Cons of This Monitor
When reviewing the product, some customers also mentioned few downsides. They noted that the Philips Avent DECT could be even better if:
– Indoor to Outdoor range could be better: Few customers note that they experienced signal loss when trying to use the remote outdoor while the unit was still inside the house. They suggest Philips to improve the range to 500 meters or more in the future.
– Louder Volume: Albeit the volume on remote can be customized via +/- arrows, 2 customers note that they could use an even higher max volume limit.
– Screen Readability: By default, the Philips Avent DECT comes with a B&W screen with blue backlighting. Few customers suggest that readability could be improved in future models by introducing a color LCD screen, even though this would lead to higher production and retail costs.
All in all, the Philips Avent DECT is an affordable and easy-to-use audio monitor. It comes with a variety of interesting features including Temperature Sensor and Night mode, as well as the DECT technology which ensures zero interference with other devices as well as a perfectly secure connection. We have used this on several occasions in the kitchen and it has worked like a charm, even when testing out our own homemade baby food. It is easy to get sidetracked and distracted while you are in the zone trying to juggle all the ingredients of a recipe. It is nice to have something that lets you stay connected to your little when they are in another room. This is the perfect companion to anyone with a newborn who spends a lot time cooking.